Application closing date: 21 February 2021
Start date: Immediately /As soon as possible
Reports to: Communications Co-ordinator
Contract: Open ended contract
Hours: 60% FTE (22.5 hours per week) – will consider within a range of 15 – 22.5 hours per week with flexibility over when hours are worked
Salary: £14,760 to £17,220 actual per year depending on experience and skills, based on 60% hours (£24,600 to £28,700 full time equivalent)
About the Tax Justice Network
The Tax Justice Network believes our tax and financial systems are our most powerful tools for creating a just society that gives equal weight to the needs of everyone. But under pressure from corporate giants and the super-rich, our governments have programmed these systems to prioritise the wealthiest over everybody else, wiring financial secrecy and tax havens into the core of our global economy. This fuels inequality, fosters corruption and undermines democracy. We work to repair these injustices by inspiring and equipping people and governments to reprogramme their tax and financial systems.
The Tax Justice Network is supported by grants from Norad, the European Union, the Ford Foundation and others. We are a virtual organisation, with staff working from home across multiple countries and continents.
The Communications Assistant will be part of the Communications team at the Tax Justice Network which is led by the Operations and Communications Director and includes the Communications Co-ordinator, Creative Strategist and Writer. The team lead and deliver on the communications strategy and its implementation within the organisation.
The post holder will be responsible for supporting the online communications of Tax Justice Network and its reactive and proactive media work.
We are flexible about where in the world the postholder is located (and in which time zone though the preference is for someone who is located within the GMT timezone or +/- 3 hours of it), subject to the need to find a contracting arrangement that meets all applicable compliance requirements. We are also flexible about time commitments; we are looking for someone who can work for approximately 22.5 hours per week, as long as the hours worked are spread over at least three days per week.
- To monitor the media email inbox and ensure enquiries are responded to or referred to the appropriate team.
- To assist the Communications Co-ordinator in preparing and producing briefing materials and press releases.
- To establish a good knowledge of key media contacts in the national and regional newspapers and websites, TV and radio outlets and ensure up-to-date details and distribution lists are maintained.
- To assist with the maintenance of our press database
- To assist with contacting news desks and journalists for new news stories.
- To lead on the evaluation and recording of media reach.
Communications & New Media content
- Provide support to colleagues in producing communications online via our websites and social media
- Draft timely, relevant and engaging communications material to share news and information on our activities in a planned way, across our networks, both online and offline – e.g. writing website content, supporting production of our e-newsletters
- Act as custodian of social media presence. Monitoring content which is relevant to our campaigns and events.
- Assist with regularly maintaining and updating pages on our websites.
- General administrative support as required
- Maintaining effective communication and ensuring that all information is shared with relevant staff
- Understanding and working towards individual, team and business objectives
- Ensuring compliance with organisational policies at all times
Skills and experience
- Experience working in a similar communications role
- A good command of the English language, both spoken and written
- Experience using social media – Twitter / Instagram / Facebook Business Manager/LinkedIn and other social media forums – in a professional capacity.
- An aptitude to learn and self-develop
- Proven experience of an ability to self-manage
- Good IT skills and experiences (at least an intermediate level – Microsoft suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), at least a basic level – Office 365 email with SharePoint or other email and share document solutions, Zoom or other conference calling software.
- Basic skill level with photo editing software and designing graphics.
- A good command of a second language (preferably Spanish or Portuguese or Arabic).
- An understanding of economics and or global finance systems
- Basic knowledge of SEO and WordPress.
- Experience with social media scheduling tools such as Tweetdeck and Hootsuite.
- Video and podcast editing skills.
- Experience working or volunteering with a charity, organisation or group interested in social justice.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to apply good judgment consistently and make responsible decisions.
- Excellent time management, forward planning, and prioritisation.
- Ability to deliver work of the highest standards under pressure and to deadlines.
- Open to feedback and review with the ability to adapt work and working style accordingly.
- Willingness to always maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work.
- Commitment to own professional development.
- Passion for tax justice and international development issues.
How to apply
Please upload a CV (resume) and answer a set of questions addressing some of the skills and attributes listed along with your motivation for applying at https://airtable.com/shrOL9oEJQoaDkX7E by 23:59 GMT on Sunday 21 February 2021. Please apply in English.Apply now